1923: A standard lookout was built on Camp 6 Mountain. (A History of the Siskiyou National Forest - 1939)
August 1925: "There are several new faces in the protective force and in trail crews but our organization is made up principally of old experienced men. Our Camp Six lookout, a forestry student from Corvallis, and our Patrick's Creek patrolman are the only new men in our protective force. J.P.D." (Six Twenty-Six)
October 1929: "Phil Stevens, veteran lookout on Camp 6 Mountain, noticed that his flag was ravelling out more on one corner than the other. One fairly windy day he decided to reverse the flag to save the bad corner and in a way even up the wear and tear on the flag, by placing it upside down. As luck would have it, his visitor that day was a commander of the United States Navy, who of course immediately noticed the position of the flag and inquired why. On being told he said if the Forest Service was that hard up he would send Camp 6 a flag from the Navy's store. This office has preached economy but it need not go that far. Hang the flag as it should be hung and call for a new one when it shows considerable signs of wear. J.H. Billingslea" (Six Twenty-Six)
May 1940: "Seen area takes in section where several man-caused fires have occurred in past. Past fire danger data substantiates the suggested dates." (Plans, Guard Placement, Siskiyou National Forest)
May 3, 1954: "Three young men shot the windows out of the Camp Six Lookout station. They made a statement admitting the act and are now paying the damage cost by installments." (Humboldt Standard)
1997: The cab from atop the tower was moved to Bear Basin Butte, where it was refurbished and put into the rental program.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - CAMP SIX LOOKOUT TOWER PID - MX1288 STATE/COUNTY- CA/DEL NORTE COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - GASQUET (1981)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1941 (JCS) STATION IS LOCATED AT THE NE END OF LOWER COON MOUNTAIN IN THE SISKIYOU NATIONAL FOREST ABOUT 16 MILES (AIR LINE) E OF CRESCENT CITY AND ABOUT 5 MILES E BY S OF GASQUET. LOWER COON MOUNTAIN IS A WOODED RIDGE LYING TO THE W OF GORDON MOUNTAIN.
THE TOWER IS OF WOOD ABOUT 40 FEET HIGH AND WAS BUILT IN 1939. THERE IS A SMALL GARAGE AND STORE BUILDING A FEW FEET TO THE S. THE ELEVATION AT THE LOOKOUT IS ABOUT 4200 FEET.
THE AZIMUTH MARK FOR STATION GORDON 1913-1941 IS SET IN THE TOP OF THE CONCRETE PIER OF THE NE LEG OF THE TOWER.
THE TOP OF THE TOWER WAS INTERSECTED.
STATION RECOVERY (1942)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942 (JCS) STATION IS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 16-1/2 MILES EXN OF CRESCENT CITY, 4 MILES E OF GASQUET, ON THE NORTH END OF GORDON MOUNTAIN A HIGH NORTH AND SOUTH RIDGE. STATION IS THE APEX AND CENTER OF THE TOWER, WHICH IS APPROXIMATELY 14 FEET BY 14 FEET BY 24 FEET HIGH.