June 1, 1932: "(Fox Diary) Made Camp. The next day we started building telephone line from the old Hungrey Creek Lookout to the Fruit Growers Lookout, one half mile." (Chronological History of the Klamath National Forest, Vol. IV, 1931-1940)
July 7, 1934: "(Fox Diary) Heavy lightning storm last night. Took CCC boy (Hahn) from Hilt to be emergency lookout on Hungrey Creek Lookout. Instructed him on operation of the fire finder and other procedures." (Chronological History of the Klamath National Forest, Vol. IV, 1931-1940)
September 2, 1936: "The Fruit Growers Supply Company deeded one acre (donation) in Sec. 24, T48N, R8W, MDM for the Hungry Creek Lookout site. (title accepted February 13, 1937)." (Chronological History of the Klamath National Forest, Vol. IV, 1931-1940)
1938: The new Lookout was constructed by Seiad CCC Camp F176, Company 1910. (Chronological History of the Klamath National Forest, Vol. IV, 1931-1940)
June 16, 1949: "Mr. and Mrs. William Jones spent a short time last week in Medford while en route to Hungry Creek Lookout in the Klamath National forest. They will spend the summer there. Jones has completed his sophomore year as a forestry major at Oregon State college, and will return to that school in the fall." (Medford Mail Tribune)
June 22, 1951: "Hungry Creek Lookout - There was an excellent cleanup of tower, cab, and grounds. Some brush that was cleared still needs to be burned." (Chronological History of the Klamath National Forest, Vol. VI, 1951-1955)
June 1, 1954: "Clara Williams, widow of Ranger John Williams, who lost his life saving a young girl from drowning in 1940, went to work as the Lookout at Hungry Creek, where she served for 17 years." (Chronological History of the Klamath National Forest, Vol. VI, 1951-1955)
July 31, 1958: "An impressive ceremony marked the dedication of a new bridge over Spring Flat in Scott Valley in memory of John F. Williams, who lost his life 18 years ago while saving the life of a 13-year-old girl near the bridge. Capt. Floyd Winchell of the California Highway Patrol of Yreka escorted Mrs. Williams to the bridge, and Senator Collier introduced her to the assemblage. Mrs. Williams is now the Hungry Creek lookout for the U.S. Forest Service, and for many years has been the mail carrier between Fort Jones and Scott Bar on the road for which the bridge creates a link." (Herald and News)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - HUNGRY CREEK LOH PID - MX1093 STATE/COUNTY- CA/SISKIYOU COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - COTTONWOOD PEAK (1983)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1952 (WRH) THE STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 8 MILES NORTH OF THE KLAMATH RIVER, 6 MILES WEST OF HILTS, AND 1/2 MILE SOUTH OF THE OREGON-CALIFORNIA STATE LINE, ON TOP OF A TREE COVERED HILL.
THE LOOKOUT HOUSE IS A STANDARD U.S. FOREST SERVICE 14 X 14 FOOT TWO STORY LOOKOUT HOUSE ABOUT 25 FEET HIGH. IT IS 45.83 FEET, 13.97 METERS SOUTHEAST OF STATION HUNGRY. THE CENTER OF THE HOUSE WAS INTERSECTED.