September 7, 1913: "Deadwood Mountain, a new station overlooks the Fresno Flats country." (The Fresno Morning Republican)
1934: Tower erected by the Civilian Conservation Corps
1965: The Los Angeles County Forestry Department staffed the lookout that was opened when the Castaic Reservoir was filled. The lookout was required by the U.S. Forest Service and funded by the State Water Resources.
September 1, 1971: The lookout was closed because of lack of funding, problems with smog and better communications.