July 31, 1934: "One (Spike Camp) will be located at Sugar Pine flat. There 25 youths will build a four-mile cut-off to Cajon mountain from Cedarsprings district, connecting with the other highway from blue cut. The CCC workers also will construct a spur to the top of the mountain, which will be the site of a new lookout station." (The San Bernardino County Sun)
November 24, 1945: "Three slim, attractive girls are replacing fire wardens in the lonely, important lookout towers which look down on the thickly forested resort areas of the San Bernardino mountains. Cajon mountain lookout, 5,340 feet high, overlooks the vital Cajon pass area, main inlet for two railways and a transcontinental highway. This lookout is 'manned' by Margaret V. Johnson." (San Mateo Times)
1950's: "The lookout served dual purpose as Fire observation and aircraft identification under the Skywatch program.