1912: The site was approved for administrative use.
August 5, 1938: "Russell Beeson, superintendent of Modoc national forest was on the fire line Thursday night and radio communication was established between the fire fighters and the Timber mountain lookout, to keep closer check on the flames, which had spread over approximately 6000 acres of grass, sage and juniper." (The Klamath News)
November 3, 1944: "(O-Plans-Master-Project Work Budget) Name of Station - Timber Mountain Lookout - Primary. Type of Building - Lookout observation unit with living quarters underneath. Other buildings and utilities - 1. Garage 1 car and fuel storage. 2. Windcharger. 3. Water storage. 4. Latrine. Remarks - Existing lookout is without quarters underneath." (From Acting Forest Supervisor, Modoc to Regional Forester)
1945: "Discovery and action: Damon's Butte Road Fire The first report of this fire was at 6:05 a.m. on October 2, 1945, and the report was received from the Timber Mountain Lookout. The lookout was a new, inexperienced man and spent only a short time on the lookout substituting for the former lookout who had quit. He had seen the fire in the dark, but waited until daylight to report so he could give a better location of the fire. The entire area in the vicinity of the fire was covered in a low lying blanket of smoke, making a reading on the base of the smoke impossible from Happy Camp Lookout. Round Mountain Lookout was called and a cross reading was obtained, locating the fire in the NE 1/4 of S. 29, T.43 N., R. 6 E. The fire at this time (about 6:10 a.m.) was estimated to be between 1 and 4 acres although visibility was very poor because of the heavy smoke blanket. This area is in somewhat rough lava area with a cover of sagebrush and grass and scattered pine and juniper. 6:15 a.m. - Bob Janes, the Long Bell Corp., Patrolman stationed at Round Mountain Lookout, was dispatched to the fire. (This was Bob Janes first season with the F.S.; however, he is a forestry student at the University of California.) 6:20 a.m. - Jesse Drake and a crew of 15 men from the Hackamore labor camp were dispatched." (Report: Suppression of the Damon's Butte Road Fire)
1946: During the period from 1942 through 1946 this lookout made 64 first discoveries.
1952: "The station exceptionally neat and orderly. Both the Fireman and his wife well trained, alert and ready to go. Much improvement in 1952 over 1951. They were both thinking safety, and Bunstein suggested a "no smoking" sign near the gasoline drum. Because of rattlesnakes, individuals with children should not be assigned here if at all possible. Training in snakebite treatment and use of snake kits is a must for this position. You should seriously consider an adequate fire proofing job around this station. It does have possibilities for a trap." (General Inspection - Doublehead District - 1951/1952)
July 22, 1957: "Work is underway in improving the weather observations plot. The new fuel bed looks good, and Homer was in the process of moving the thermometer shelter to within 2' of the fuel bed and raising it to the 48" standard. If time permits, he may also enlarge and square the fenced area which will probably eliminate some morning shading of the fuel sticks." (Report - Weather Bureau Inspection)
1966: The current 30'6" steel tower with a 13x13 CL-100 Series live-in cab constructed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - TIMBER MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT
PID - MW0837
COUNTRY - US
USGS QUAD - PEREZ (1993)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1948 (WRH) THE STATION IS LOCATED NEAR THE SOUTHWEST END OF TIMBER MOUNTAIN. IT IS ABOUT 25 MILES AIRLINE NORTHWEST OF THE TOWN OF CANBY, ABOUT 24 MILES AIRLINE SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF THE TOWN OF TULE LAKE AND ABOUT 3 MILES AIRLINE EAST OF TIONESTA. IT IS A STANDARD LOOKOUT HOUSE THAT WAS BUILT ON THE TOP OF A LARGE ROCK OUTCROP THAT PROJECTS ABOUT 10 FEET ABOVE THE GROUND. THE OBJECT THAT WAS INTERSECTED IS THE SPIKE IN THE CENTER OF THE ROOF OF THE BUILDING.