July 15, 1927: "The Mattson lookout station near the Ellison schoolhouse in the Littleriver road will soon be in operation overlooking Big river and the Albion and Navarro rivers." (Dispatch-Democrat)
August 29, 1934: "Joe Quaill has been trucking lumber to the site of the new lookout station on the Mathison place near the head of Little River. A 30-foot tower is being erected. Caspar Amundsen is working on the project. Frank Mathison has charge of the station." (Ukiah Republican Press)
August 31, 1934: "Frank Mathison will have charge of the new lookout station, which is being erected on the Mathison place near the head of Littleriver in the Mendocino section. A 30-foot tower is now in the course of construction." (Dispatch-Democrat)
June 28, 1935: "Frank Mathison is lookout on Mathison peak which is located a few miles east of Mendocino city." (Ukiah Dispatch-Democrat)
May 26, 1949: "The forest fire lookout station on the Mathison property has been opened for the season, with Miss Emma Mathison again in charge. The station is located about three miles east of Little River Airport." (Redwood Journal)
1956: The lookout person also held the duties as a Ground Observer Corps Skywatch observer.