November 30, 1934: "A new forest fire lookout station will be constructed on Oak Ridge, near Annapolis, according to announcement made this week. The state department of forestry has given approval to the new location, John Patchett, superintendent of the Annapolis CCC camp stated, and the station will be built by members of the camp. Crews already are at work on the road to the lookout site, Patchett announced. An old road that formerly led along the ridge from Annapolis will be reopened for forestry use, both to carry supplies to the lookout who will be stationed at the site next fire season, and for the double purpose of patrolling and as a firebreak." (Healdsburg Tribune)
December 7, 1934: "Sonoma county's new forest fire lookout station will be constructed at Oak Ridge, near Annapolis, instead of Big Mountain, it has been learned. Approval of the state department of forestry has been given to the new location, it was announced by John Patchett, superintendent of the Annapolis CCC camp, members of which will construct the lookout station and approach during the winter." (Petaluma Argus-Courier)
1942: Aircraft Warning Service Station.
July 6, 1947: "A report that a ship was seen burning and sinking off the California coast left the coast guard mystified Saturday after an intensive search. Forest Ranger Earl Holle reported from Northern Sonoma county shortly after 4 p.m. Thursday that with his glasses in a lookout station, he saw a ship burn and sink about 10 miles off the coast. He said it appeared to be a tanker. Thorough coast guard search of the area by two patrol vessels and two planes uncovered no wreckage or other signs to indicate a marine disaster. The search was ended unless a more definite clue is reported." (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin)
August 8, 1958: "Mrs. Viola Eldredge of Geyserville is serving as lookout at the station. Among other things, Mrs. Eldredge has to climb the nearly 100 steps of the stations steep stair, read the weather at the weather station, and be on the constant lookout for fires in her area. Just recently, she killed several rattlers, timber and diamond back, in the area." (Geyserville Press)
1958: A steel tower was erected as a replacement of an earlier structure.
April 4, 1974: "Masonite Corporation is deeding the site of the Oak Ridge fire lookout to the State of California at a luncheon to be held April 6, in Santa Rosa. Cong. Don Clauson will address the group following presentation of the deed by Henry F. Trione, member of the board of directors of Masonite, to Lewis A. Moran, state forester. Oak Ridge, located in northern Sonoma County has been the site of a California Division of Forestry lookout since the construction of a 90-foot wooden tower in 1942. This was replaced with a modern steel tower in 1958. The first road into the site was built in 1932-33 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor a husband and wife team manned the location as an aircraft sighting station. California Division of Forestry has leased has leased the site since 1961 when the land was owned by Cloverdale Redwood Company. Masonite Corporation has continued the lease since acquiring the land in 1970. The State of California will formally take possession of the land at the April 6 luncheon at Los Robles Lodge in Santa Rosa." (Ukiah Daily Journal)