August 26, 1933: "Trails constructed, Eagle Rock Lookout, 3 miles. Eagle Rock telephone line construction 3 1/2 miles." (Blue Lake Advocate)
October 19, 1940: "The mule's claim to intellectual superiority has been seriously challenged. Trinity Forest employees have come to the sad conclusion that the I.Q. of the average mule is in all probability considerably lower than they thought it was. One lone mule is responsible for this change of opinion. His name is Tom, and according to Supervisor A.G. Brenneis of Weaverville. There is one of the huskiest mules on the Trinity. In a recent communication, Brenneis recounts what happened shortly after Tom had packed a load of supplies to Eagle Rock lookout. 'The packer tied him to a bush and thought that all was well,' Brenneis writes. 'Shortly, Tom became frightened by something, broke his halter rope and headed down the mountain. Sure that he would return to Big Bar, as any run-of-the-mill mule would, the packer was not greatly disturbed. After eating a meal and smoking a pipe he started on the trail of Tom. 'Later in the day, after many weary miles of tracking, Tom was found in the heart of some of the most rugged country in Trinity County. Here he was, stuck, marooned on the face of a cliff that not even a goat would traverse and unable to move 20 feet either direction. 'After two days' work by forest guards in cutting brush, moving boulders, pleading and coaxing. Tom was removed from the cliff and returned to Big Bar. 'The story should end there, but bright and early on the morning following his return Tom was again headed for Eagle Rock and again broke away. This time, profiting from his previous experience, Tom stuck to the trail until he reached the road. From there he held the center of the road until his pursuers overtook him. He then stood quietly by until the trailer door was opened, walked into the conveyance and heaved a great sigh, 'Maybe Tom isn't as smart as the average mule,' say the fire guards, 'but give him time, he is learning.'" (Oakland Tribune)
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - EAGLE PID - LU2151 STATE/COUNTY- CA/TRINITY COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - BIG BAR (1982)
DESCRIBED BY CALTRANS 1975 (PRL) THE STATION IS ON A RIDGE AT THE SITE OF AN ABANDONED LOOKOUT KNOWN AS EAGLE ROCK, ABOUT 2 AIRLINE MILES SOUTH OF DEL LOMA AND 4 AIRLINE MILES WEST OF BIG BAR.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE US FOREST SERVICE RANGER STATION AT BIG BAR, TRAVEL SOUTH, ACROSS HIGHWAY 299 AND ACROSS THE TRINITY RIVER BRIDGE ON ROAD NUMBER 33N60 FOR 0.2 MILES TO A FORK, TAKE RIGHT FORK AND TRAVEL SOUTHWEST FOR 0.2 MILES TO A FORK AT A SIGN---CORRAL BOTTOM 10---. CONTINUE STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR 5.4 MILES TO THE SUMMIT OF A RIDGE AND THE INTERSECTION OF FOUR ROADS, TAKE FIRST FORK TO THE RIGHT AND TRAVEL FOR 2.0 MILES TO A FORK IN ROAD AT A FOREST SERVICE MATERIALS SITE, TAKE LEFT FORK AND TRAVEL FOR 0.1 MILE TO A ROAD INTERSECTION ON THE RIGHT, TRAVEL STRAIGHT AHEAD 1.2 MILES TO A BLOCKED ROAD ON THE RIGHT, CONTINUE TO THE LEFT, DOWNHILL, FOR 2.4 MILES TO A FORK, TAKE RIGHT FORK ACROSS EDGE OF RIDGE, TRAVELING FOR 1.1 MILES TO A---T--- INTERSECTION, TURN RIGHT AND TRAVEL FOR 0.6 MILES TO A FORK, TAKE RIGHT FORK AND TRAVEL FOR 0.7 MILES TO A FORK, TAKE RIGHT FORK AND CONTINUE UP RIDGE FOR 2.1 MILES TO THE TOP OF RIDGE AND A---T--- INTERSECTION, TURN LEFT AND TRAVEL DOWN THE RIDGE FOR 0.6 MILES TO THE END OF THE ROAD AND THE STATION.
THE STATION IS A STANDARD CALIFORNIA DIVISION OF HIGHWAYS DISK STAMPED ---EAGLE 1975---SET IN A ROCK OUTCROPPING, 9 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE EAST FOUNDATION CORNER, AND 18 FEET EAST OF THE NORTH FOUNDATION CORNER OF AN ABANDONED LOOKOUT HOUSE, AND ABOUT 4 FEET LOWER.